CLNZ’s licences are available for organisations that make use of copyrighted material and wish to:
- Broaden and enrich the experience of students and staff through access to a world of published materials
- Effectively manage their exposure to risks associated with non-compliance with legislation
- Receive support for achieving compliance
Most New Zealand education providers are CLNZ licenceholders. Other organisations that often hold licences are businesses, professional services organisations, and government departments. Associations and other non-profit organisations may hold licences on behalf of their members.
Any original material held by the licenceholder that is within the scope of the licence may be copied under the licence subject to certain simple limitations described here. Licences operate as ‘blankets’, in the sense that a very broad range of material is covered by the licence by default provided that a simple set of compliance guidelines are met. These guidelines are described in more detail elsewhere in this knowledge base but in summary they are:
- The material being used must be one of the types that the CLNZ licensce covers and must not be on the list of exclusions
- The amount of material being used must be within the limit given by the licence
- The material must be shared in a way that ensures it is only made available to a defined group of users
In addition to this simple ‘blanket’ coverage, the licence also offers additional benefits :
- Free e-learning modules for staff to provide an effective grounding in the licence, and to ensure that the organisation maximises its return on investment. The e-learning modules are ideal for professional development, new staff induction, and compliance/risk management exercises.
- All universities and some ITPs participate in the trial licence extension to include material obtained from prescribed inter-loan libraries here and overseas .
- Knowledge bases for tertiary teaching and research staff and for staff involved in compliance functions.
- Our second extract facility permits further copying of up to 10% of a work in addition to the standard 10% limit in the licence, following application to CLNZ. (Not available to some licence types, see your licence for confirmation.)
- Full copies of out of print works following application to CLNZ.
- Free training material to support staff education and compliance initiatives.
- Licence fees are paid to rightsholders to support creation of new material.