The fair dealing exception for education does not apply to commercial organisations, including commercial PTEs. This is because the definition of “education establishment” in the Copyright Act specifically excludes organisations conducted for profit. It follows that the 3% allowance in the exception is not available for commercial PTEs.
Articles in this section
- About this section
- If a work is unpublished does copyright apply?
- Can I post a copy to myself as proof that it is copyright?
- Can copyright protect ideas?
- Can a name or title be protected by copyright?
- If a work is available online then can’t anyone use it? Isn’t it public domain?
- A work doesn’t have a copyright notice; is it protected by copyright?
- If only a small amount of a work is used, then permission is not needed?
- If changes are made to the work, then permission is not needed?
- If the author is credited, then permission is not needed?